Australian Access Federation

You are here: Home Corpora Corpus of Oz Early English 3-113 (Raw)

3-113 (Raw)

Item metadata
author,female,Davenport, Sarah*,43 addressee
Narrative Discourse
Word Count :
Plaint Text :
Private Written
Frost, 1984
Document metadata

3-113-raw.txt — 52 KB

File contents

Sceth of an emegrants Life in austrailia
from Leiving England in the year of our Lord 1841
as maney pepole leving home for new south wales and Port philip sent gloing accounts of the country both for good wages and no scarcity of work and the healtheness of the climate my husband having a sister hear [heard reports of the place] her husband was a soldier but he had bought his Discharg and got a publick house in the country and [was] making money fast so the news to us was from them that we shold come out
we had 4 yong children we sould our house hold furniture gathered up our effects Paid our Dets and got an order to come out by Paying two Pounds each for the 4 children 8 pound we left manchester for Liverpool October 4 1841 and pased the bord of comishonars on the 6 and whent on the ship, ship urainia, and set sail on the evening of the 7 of october 1841
thair was about two hundred souls on bord the ship named urainia, Omens and smith of Liverpool owaners we was all in good hopes that we was coming to beeter our selves tho sorry to leve our friends
we had not sailed long before meney was sea sick but not all for some was singin and some roughs was bawling nex my galley the Poilot had left about half an hour as near as i can think we seamed to be goin very smothley and some was in bed, others preparing for the night as we had maney famyles with chilldren and meney was sick my little ones 3 was sick but i had got them in bed and was sit near them to attend on them feeling anny thing but comfortable when sad to tell the vessell struk about half past ten o clock she struk on the sand bank i shall never forget it the srikes and screams [of] wemon and chilldren and some of the men was terrified they did not know what they was doing. [240] [241] 
i was in an upper birth with my four chilldren my husband ran on deck to see what was the mater i saw him no more till Daylight all the passengers tryed to go on Deck the Captain ordered the hatches to be nailed down but it was no use the vessel kept striking with the waves till 3 o clock, us poor passengers expectain the ship wold break up and i believe had thair been a storm i shold not have been hear to write this it was comparitiveley calm i heard the mate say to the captain we was 6 nots out of the right way that was before we struk
direckley affter the ship did strike the mate offred to take the vessel throu the irish chanel if the captain wold allow him but he wold not and it seems the captain did not understand wat he undertook as soon as Daylight brok the Life boats came and took us off the wreked vessel and landed us at a smal vilage caled hoy Lake and we remained till annother ship was ready the ship brok up on the 14 we had nothing but what we stood up in till the ship broke up and then we got two boxes of the least vaule of som of the passengers must have got some off our other boxes as i saw some of my chilidrens close sold by auction in sydney at a sale room in Georg st i claimed them but my husband wold not allow me to force them to give them up
wile we remaind at hoy Lake i went to church the first sunday the minister took for his text st Pauls ship wreck the chapter of acts vers 43 44 and well he laboured to instruct us he seemed to me to be a sincere cristain i have never forgot his kindnes and work of Love among us how he exorted us and strove to comfort us his words has struk my memory in the wild bush like an eacho and i have ever resolved that shold [i] visit my native home i wold go to hoy Lake and see that minister if he is still alive
affter we had [been] at hoy Lake a few Days i whent bak to manchester as my Parents was living and my husband had not a pair of shoose to put on he had taken them off the night we ware wreked and he never got them again he lost 2 pair besides what was paked up i whent to Liverpool and Mr Smith gave me a pas on the railway to manchester it was eigh o clock at night when i got to my parents and a great maney of my old neighbours and friends came to see me and shewed me much kindness but i did not wish to stop in manchester we had broke up our home and lost all in the wrek
i did not wish to begin Life again in old England i wanted to make a fresh start in a new country my husband was a cabinet maker by trad and he used to suffer with the sick headach almost every week i had to work very hard my self to keep our familey and i found my strenth getting very low i concluded the best to try a new country. [242]
on the 27 of october 1841 we went on bord the Champion of Glasco - eigh hundred tuns burden - and set sail a second time it was very rouuf in the bay of biskay after we got through the vessel rolled a good deal
on the 8 of November in the morning about eigh o clock a yong woman was coming down the hatch way with some gruel to her mother and she was pitched off the Lader i was siting in my birth with my yongest little son on my knee, one year and eigh months old, named Albert her gruel splashed on his head and down his ear and scalded him so severely that he died on the tenth of November just fourteen days affter we had set sail a second time
this was a more sever tryal than the ship wrek i cold not cry one tear i was stund the yong womans name was Ema Patmore and a good yong [woman] she was, aged about fifteen she was like myself she cold not cry but in one short month she died and was buried in the sea sad it was to me
i had what was caled purmature labour and that babe was throne in the sea i was almost Dumb with grief i thought my tryals was heavey but i cryed unto God to help me for my chilldrens sake i had no one to comfort me in all my tryals for my husband seemed indifferend affter the ship wreck his kindness seemed to be all vanished and [another] spirit might have [taken] position of him he [would] go on Deck or about [his] own pleasure i saw [it] and felt it too but [said] nothing some of [my] ship mates was [very good] to mee and when i [was] able to go about [again i] returned it to them again i must make myself usefull i felt happier if i was Doing some good for some of them but i had a sore hart but i battld hard against brooding over my tryals
we had a good comander in Captain John Cockerin a schoth man, and two Dockters, Heuuet was the name of one i hav forgot the name of the other they was very kind to the passengers generley [thair was] maney different tempers abord a emmigrant ship. [we] mustred about three hundred souls but i think [we had] as orderley a vouage [as aney] that came out at [that] time for the captain [did] have a system strict and orderley [because] he looked affter it him selif and if thair was anney complaints brought to him he wold make all inquieres and put the passengers to rights as far as he was able. [243]
wehen [we] was passing the cape of good hope we had a rather sever storm it was on the 31 of December and lasted till the 3 of january one of the wemon was confined on the first of january and i went on deck to get somthing cooked and a wave came and washed me under the Long boat and washed part of the galley away, but i was not much hurt and the poor woman had had nothing warm to eat so i got on some dry cloaths and tryed again and did my best under the curcumstances and made her as comfortabi as i could but a few days after i was taken very ill with a sever cold and i got a sever blow on one of my legs i thought it wold be nothing but it began to inflame and i was not well [for] some weeks affter we landed it is a very trying time to be pent up on bord an emigrant ship for 4 months we was all very glad when 'land a head' was caled out
the next eveining about 8 o clock we cast anchor in Port jackson Febuary 13 1842 just as we saw land Mrs Patmores child infant died and was buried in sydney buring ground that was two she lost during the voyage, her Daughter Emma and her infant they was about a ten deaths during our voyage out to sydney
when we landed in sydney thair was not a house or roome under ten shillings per week but the government Provided tents for the Poor Pepol
[a] great maney emmigrants coming in so close togather and sydney was but thinley inhabated at that time, that was the cause [of] house rent being so high wages was about 8 shillings per-day but in two months time they was reduced to 5 and work scarce my husband soon got work but instead of beeter wages [than in England] he got less he was very Dishartend for he wold not turn his hand to annything els but cabinetmaking
i was very ill for the first three months affter we landed my left knee inflamed very much and when my knee got beeter my right arm began [to swell] from my finger ends to above my elbo it was very bad and the muscatos did play up with my face
i suffred very much and got very weak at last i went to a friend of my Fathers and told him who i was and what i wanted meddical advice as goin to a docktor was out of my Power i cold get no advice under one pound and i had no pound for my husband did not earn more than 5 shillings per day
he got Dr bland to perscribe for me and got me the medicen and Dr bland brought Dr Cuttle to visit me as he said it proceded from my blood being so poor and my liver was out of order i soon got beeter under his care so i could go about my house work and do a little sewing but i was still weak. [244]
as we cast anchor in sydney harbour one of our docktors burst a blood vessel and died a few days affter and he was buried in surry hill cemetary sydney he was a fine yong man about 28 years of age one of the Pasangers, a yong man about 25, died a day or two affter we landed he was coming out as a Farmer bringin his Plow with him and five hundred Pounds in money and he was a free emigrant to this country he was a single man his name was Flanagan who got his money i never heard
he was rather gentlemanley and did not seem to have aney real aquantance on bord but as soon as it was known that he was ded two or three wanted to claim his goods i never heard who got them
Wee was but a few days in the governments tents when i met an old neibour from home her familey had been in the tents 4 weeks when we landed so we took a two roomed house at fourteen shillings per week i [and] 3 children and she and [five] her husband was a tin smith he seemed to get plenty of work and seemed to get well Paid for it but he spent a great Deal in Drink the rest of the familey was very good and strivin but they soon left sydney for Adalaid but he still remaind a Drunkard as far as i ever herd thair names was Atherton
we then got another house near the hay market at a place caled cockle bay the rent was 15 shillings per week roomes we let two down stairs for 5 shillings per week so we [had] two uper rooms for 5 shillings per [week] with the risk of geeting the tennants the first house we had we could count the [stars as] we lay in bed and when it rained we could keep nothing dry but the weather was very warm but it was very uncomfortable we was poor beg i could not but the second house was weather proofe but it was along way for my husband to go to work but he did not keep in work long, i think about 4 months out of 11 as we onley stopt in sydney 11 months work got scarcer and wages lower sydney at the time was badly regulated i believe most of the Police men was what they caled 'old hands' they did not like the emigrants
when pepol went to market home fashion they must call at the wine shop a very bad Pracktice [to] allow and when they got a little wine it made them talkative and mery they wold very likeley get josled and if they resented it they wold very likeley get knocked down and taken to the watch house and thair market basket took from them with thair weeks grocerys and get confined from saturday night to monday morning then fined one shilling but no basket or groceres returned to them. [245] [246] 
i went to buy some groceres one eavening tuasday and goin up George st met two of these Poliece taken Mrs Patmore to the watch house i stopt and asked the reason a sarjant of the Poliece coming up at the time ask me if i cold identfy her
[four pages of Mrs Davenport's account are missing here] we may never meet again in this world but i trust i shall see a good number in the beeter land i have seen but two since we left sydney
wile we lived in sydney a lady that lived near us her husband was gon to England to have a boxing match with the champion of that time in London she had four chilldren 3 boys and a girl he did not leve her in very good curcumstances she had a law suit about some Property but one [page] of parchment was mising her yongest son between 4 or 5 years of age had got it and 'planted' it as they call it hidind hear and neither coaching nor threats nor Punnishments wold [persuade] the yong child to tell what he had done with them his Mother spoke to me about it this was on the saturday and the tryal was coming on the next week
she did not know what to do we knew he was affaraid of the blaks i thought about it so i said to his Mother when you strip him to wash him let me know i will try a plan accordingley when he was striped i went in to the kicthen it was a sellar kicthen stone built i tryed to coax him: but no, he wold not tell me and [he] clapend his little sides for he was naked [as] much as to [say] 'i will not tell you' i got some blaking and a brush his name was roland
'now rolly, i will black you all over if you do not give your mother that parchment and i will give you to the blaks' he looked at me we was by our selves no he wold not 'hear gose', i begon to blak his boddy [he] did scream 'tell your Mother' said I 'or i will give you to the blaks'
he wold he took a peice of morter out of the wall and pulled out the parchment so yong and yeat so art full fear made him do what nothing els wold his mother won her law suit
my husbands sister came to see us and seemed very kind to us we wrote to them as soon as we landed and told them of our misfortunes they wrote to us very kindley and sent us a five pound note i thought they ware exceding kind but it was years to pay it back they came to see us in august as they was moveing further up the country they had a slab house built for a Publick house as things was getting worse in sydney they said we might do very well in the bush i took all that was said to be tru and soon consented to go up the bush and as a bullock dray was coming from that part we wonse more brok up our home and prepared to go up when the bullock dray arrived the bullock driver had got other loadding [247]
but he recomended another to us and we shold have to Pay him so we wrote to brother in Law of the curcumstances he said when we got to Yas thair was a bank and he wold send the money to the bank in Yas as we had to go throu that township the parttys name was harrison that had charg of the bank the bullock driver agreed to take us to Yas he said if he got Paid he wold thake us further as brother in Law had promised to meet us part of the road we started on a journy of four hundred miles under rather uncomfortabi curcumstances however we stardted January 18 1843
a few of our shipmates went [with] us the first day we onely went a few miles to what they caled the accomdation paddocks to arange the loding for a regular start we joged on till we came to a place caled Liverpool and thare we camped near a Publick house the driver whent into the publick house and stoped in all night they was a lot of ruffians and he was affraid of being robbed as he worked for him self the dray and bulock was his own we made our beds under the dray the tarpouling fourming a rude tent and our beds was on the ground
they was a great deal of bad languag used among them and fighting one among another and they was for pulling poor me from under the dray for thair own brutal purpose we never spoke to them but we armed our selves my husband with a small axe and me with a carving knife i felt determined to defend myself we was in that Position till Daylight i believe they wold have assallted me but one more humane resisted them that was one cause of thair fighting at last i heard them make up a robbery for the next night so they dispersed at that i hartley thanked god for preserving me from violance
nothing more ocured till we reached Berima and thair we lost one of our bullocks and my husband lost him self endeavouring to find it but meeting someone he got home by sundown after travaling miles in serch of the missing bolock he was a bad bush man i offten had to go with him in affter years we had to start again with out the lost bolock as it could not be found
we traveled very slowley i think we was about 20 days goin to Yas about one hundred and ninety miles we arrived in Yas on the saturday and camped about 2 miles out side the township my husband whent into Yas to the bank expecting to get some money [248]
Mr Harris or Harrison told us my brother in law had an account but he had no orders to give us anny 
we was stuned our Provisions was done we wanted to Pay the man hear we was strangers in a strange land the bullock driver must have his money we both felt sick we knew not what to do i looked about me and knowing our chilldren must have somthing to eat i saw a larg store that is for the place i whent in and asked for a drink for i felt faint i found they ware our own country peapol i told them our case they caled my husband and told him to bring our things to his store and they wold advance the money till we heard from our friends and that we could have provisions a mail was goin out on monday we shold have returns by thursday we very gladley accepted it
on the saturday night as we was returning [to camp] i picked a smale tin case up and i opened it it was a prisoners tiket of leaf as they [are] caled but i did not understand them but we had not gon far when we saw a man and woman looking up and down i asked if they had lost anny thing 
they said a tin case it was moon light so i could not read the names i shewed the one i had found they seemed glad and asked ware we stoped we told them and went on our way to the camping place got our suppers 
the next morning the man we gave the tin box came and brought us some cabbages and cucumbers and took ourer chilldren to thair garden and gave them some grapes it was a treat - 
we passed sunday as best we cold and on monday came in to Yas and settled with the driver with some difficulty we got a roome from 'jemey the flogger' as he was caled he could not speak a dosen words without an oath for anything els he was kind as far as i ever saw 
my husband soon got work, then his employer had to give his word for his tools it was 3 weekes before we heard from our friends and then they was in a hurry to get us up so me and our 2 boys whent with the dray 
my husband was to follow us in a short time and bring our yong Daughter aged 9 years i had been told we had beeter stop as our friends was not a fit place for us I looked on thair kindness as genuine i thought if they was not good to others they had been kind to us and i considered we was in duty bound to go on els we could have soon returned the money our friends had advanced about six pounds on i think about the i of march 
me and our two boys started to go to undes as they was in glee to be thair 
the first days journey I had to go into a creek as my youngest son was thrown off the dray and nearley being drowned [249] i jumped in and got him out we stoped that night at a place caled Jugelong a publick house kept by a mail contractor named Green i soon changed my sons claus and my own when we got thair & then had to go by another dray transfered again i was ready to turn back a distance of 20 miles but this other dray was a man and his wife and chilid so i concluded to go with rather misgevines thair names was Cuningham Poverty, wat pain it causes we set [out] with this dray and a spring cart, very comfortable for a day or two 
the second day an aged genteel man came up to us leading a lame horse as i perfered walking as the roads was so rough we soon got in conversation, this gentleman and me i soon saw thair was a kind of awe or restrain manefest among, our traveling company, i could not tell why we chatted away upon religion history and other things till we camped at night at a farm house i think thair name was Redman the lame hors was put in the stable and the gentleman was put in the best parlour as we had traveled togather all day i must go and have supper and my 2 little boys with i did very willingley but i was surprised to hear them call him reverend it was the reverend Terry he traveled with us till mid day next day i was sorrey to part with his company as while [he] was with us thair was peace 
apperentley that night thair was quarreling the man and his wife did fight and made things very uncomfortable no one seemed to like Mrs Cunningham wat ever habation we' came near no one wold have her in thair place' neither publick nor private i cold not think wat it was for but it seems she got a man hanged some years before i did not know that till affter they had the manegment of a station on the Billebong affter they had quarled the husband wold not lett either her or me sleepe in the spring cart so i was a sufferer throu thair quarrels, but if we came near aney Dwelling i wold shelter if i could 
one night they ware fighting she wold have throne her child in the fire if i had not caught it and then she wold go and drown her self that she wold in the river for we ware camped on the banks of the murimbugee river it was dark i had her child in my arms no one cared to stop her i thought as she knew the way thair she wold find her way back as i saw she wanted a fus and she did find her way back in about two hours her baby was asleep and then she began to up braid me for not stoping her i told her i was minding her baby and did not wish to drown either it or myself as i did not know the road to the river as i had not been thair before and it was dark when we camped as she knew the road thair she cold come back if she chose and if she had drowned her self her husband had the best right to see about it she was sore pusled with my cooleness. [250] 
the next night we camped near a publick house thair was a blak smiths shop and a shepards hut i asked the blaksmith if he could lett me have a room to sleep in as the night looked thretning and was very cold he said he wold but i must not lett that woman in if i did he wold turne me out i thanked him and tooke my bed in Mrs cuningham began to up braid me and said i was no good to go and sleep in a batchelors house it was an inner roome so i put my little boys to bed under a cover and was making all snug for the night when the shepherd came in he knew me as he came from the place i came from before i was maried his wife came to see me in the morning and gave me some provisions for the road as cuningham was to find me and my 2 boys with food for the jorney but we shold have been very short but for kindness we met with on the road one woman that was a stranger to me gave me 4 loves and some other things and the news whent before us how unkind they was to me and my two chilldren - 
the next night we came to kiamba, smiths place or station he was noted for being very near to travelers but he had heard of thair bad con-duct to me and as soon as we 'camped near his place he came down and took my two boys and gave them thair supper and got some of the men to go and sleep in a empty hut as he said it was not fit for me and i cold have the [dormitory] as the night was likley to be stormey and so it was stormey thunder and lithning and heavey rain. Mrs cuningham wold not come in [from] the dray at first so she stopt out till the rain drove her in and then she wold have my- dry bed but i wold not allow it she scolded very hard about it but i was firm as she cold have come in at first but she wold not the next night we reached thair station my brother in law was waiting for us with a two hors cart i felt glad to be away from that coupple when she saw my brother waiting for us she turned and said she was sorry to part with me o deaciet! when we got to thair station on the Billebong our brother in Law was waiting for us as i said before so the next morning we started for the Ovens and got thaire in three days i was very tired with the rough traviling and hoped to [be] happy among friends tho i had left my husband behind and my daughter i expected they wold soon be up with us i had not been more [than] 3 weeks before i found i [was] in the wrong place and i [sent] a letter to my husband not to come as I wold returne to him as soon as i cold i was near my confinement but he never got the letter as the Pos office was kept at [our relatives'] house i expected a letter in return but none came. [251] [252]
in about six weeks i was confined of a Daughter but about 2 days befor my confinement my husband came up to us but he left our daughter i was sorley grieved at this but as his sister was goin down to Yas to get thair licence renewed she wold bring her up with her as she was taken a shay cart i tryed to mak myself as content as possiabl i was confined while she was away as she started the day my husband came to us it was very wet in the beginning of May and was weat till August i was very uneasey in account of the roads so maney creekes to cross and maney a prayer i put up for the safe return of my sister in law and my child in about a month she did return but without my chilld i was stund with surprise i was sick at hart i asked the reason i got no proper answer but was told it was my own fault i asked my husband what [the] reason [was] he had been told [he] shold not like the [place] so he told Mr & Mrs [J] not to lett his sister [bring] her up without his written authority as they told him his sister was fond of drink for they knew her well he thought he wold come and see us if he found it so he wold work till he had paid them [the] outlay and then [return] had he got my letter [he would] not have come but [would have] sent the money -[for us] boots and shoos was [the] artical [we needed] on the Ovens at that tim and as thair was a sale in Yas my husband laid all the money out in boost and shoes thinkin it wold Pay for what we had he brought me a pair of boots but i never got them as he laid them in the store they sold them for a pound [what] they cold take from us [they] did i had a preasant [sent] me of a robe for [the] new born babe and a dress Peice for my self i did see them but did not even know they was sent for me till 2 years affter as i never got them the doner asked me had i received them i said no they was sold i never knew [they was] for me she said [she gave] them to my sister in law for me and i believe she did when we had been about six months we begun to be very bare of does and both me and my husband worked as hard as we could we did our duty he put all the windows and doors and mad the house look tiddy in his [spare time] he began to whant som things for him self but they told us we was in thair det still i told them to make out thair bill as my husband had sent them a set of drawers and a pembroik tabl on pillar and claw both worth about £12 and the boots sold for £12. [253] 
at lest our six months labour for them [was worth something] and it was labour some times throu drink day and night to watch the Mrs to keepe her from insult and from being insultd and then caled fools because we wold not take advantage of the drunkard and take all they offered when they did not know what they was doing we neither of us cold do it i was disgusted with that way of geting rich the sister wold say 'you must throw a sprat to catch a mackerel' i did not understand that [she] wold boast of her riches [and] her cleaverness and tell i was no good and how well [we] might do if wee wold do [as] she told us she made me speak out to her one day for she had told her husbands Mother had come out and brought a few hundred Pounds and it helped them as the old woman but lived a few weeks i told her it mad a diffrence bein hellped her father had been laid up for nearley 4 years and i had worked hard to mak him comfortable it had cost us a few hundreds that we might have laid by but that was nothing but it lowered her dignity and i believe she hated me for telling her of it but it was truth i wished my self away from that place when they came to see us in sydney they called at a place on the road a farm house old friends of thairs and asked to see the Master - the Mrs made them wellcome but Master was not at home but some things transpired the husband had been murdred about this time by his wife and her paramer as it came out affter sister had to go to Berima nearley 300 three hundred miles as she had to go throu Yas she wold bring our daughter i did not wish her to do so as i was determind not to stop the summer over on the Ovens this was the later end of July i had never been well from my confinement but worked as hard as i cold but i did not complain i had got a sever cold in my left brest i fainted with the pain of it some times she said it was because i wanted brandy a thing i did not like but when she came bak from her journey with out my daughter she did storm both at me and her brother it was saturday when she got bak i spoke kindley to her she stormed and moked me her husband hellped her i thought this cannot last long on the sunday morning it was wors thair was a publick house [on] the other side of the river and the owners Mother had attended me in my confinement [we] had great respect for her news soon whent acros the rivier that it was worse than it realey was and it was bad enough we had no money i had a pound as i had [been] given at diffrent times but they had borrowed it for change as - they said but i had kept account as i saw thair wold be a parting before long wat thair motive was for treating us so badley i cannot tell to this day we was with them six months i began to be bad i had a larg abses in my left brest i was bad with it about 4 months but it was very bad a long time but i began that i could do my houswork and a little sewing i could not do hard work such as washing or scrubbing thair was but one publick house in Aulbury at this time and the mail was kept thair it was kept by a Robert Brown they was quit diffrent to our relations to us for if they was goin on a visit for a few days i must stop in the house and they paid me well and wished us to stop and i believe they gave my husband all the work [he could do] and got him work at other stations to do but he wold not turn his hand to rough carpentering els he migh have done beeter joynering or cabinet work was all he wold do [254]
at last he put up a bark hut for us to live in i kept toiling on in hope of sumthing beeter we had offers to go on stations but my husband wold not eacept them for thair was bad tales told of the settlers Licentiousness and we had sen a bit of that at our relations i wished to either go back to Yas or go to melbourne - i was very much tryed for the first year that we was in Aulbury by men that wold pretend to want to befriend us under a disguise they wold offer to mak me preasants but i had- learnt what these was for i wold have non of them tho low in curcumstances i had a honest hart and i looked to God for guidance and none never looked to him in vain he sustained me blessed his name for ever if anney was- sic i wold help them and read to them and make - them as - comfortable as i could but i could not join in thair drinkin bouts they caled me proud i was too proud to do wrong or encourage it they was nearley all old convicts or convicts children that lived in Aulbury at that time - i saw colonial life as the phrase is you may be sure what a life it was sunday was very little thought on but i could not forget it they said if they had forgot what day it was they wold come to Davenports hut we was put poor but we was respected affter we had been thare some time my husband trusted a man with some money to bring our eldest daughter up six pounds much against my will for i had a bad opinion of the man tho i wanted my child bad enough he was as i- thought him he did not sen her up and we neither saw him nor the money since well my husband got an order for some furniture to be made of cedar he entrusted his money again with a man to bring it up on his dray as he was goin down we never saw him anny more neither money nor cedar. [255] 
well our chimbley wanted reparing we got some stones to mend it and we kept good fiers the stones was full of mica it looked much like goold we washed some having seen some goold dust in Liverpool we put some in a paper and it turned it red as gold leaf dose well we thought we had made a grand discovey we tryed it again it was still the same but how to test it we did not know we knew no one in mellbourne that we cold send it too and we did not wish anney one to laugh at us and we had been ronged by trusting money in what we thought [honest] carriers hands. 
this was in 1845 we had not yet got our oldest daughter with us yeat so my husband concluded to go to sydney and, have it tryed and bring our daughter up with him so it was setled at that he took all the money we had and went on the mail his fare was i believe about seven pounds he took what he thought wold bring him bak and our daughter i was quite pleased to think i shold see my child soon as he promised to be back in a month at the latest he started at the begning of september i shall never forget with wat anxityetie i counted the days and nights as i used to close the door of our bark hut and put the chilldren to bed then i wold sit and sew for hours wondring if all was well with my absent ones and Praying for God to Protect them - he had been gon about 20 days it had been raining a little but nothing to make me uneasey as the river had not rissen much i put the fire togather and put a good back log on as i shold [want] a fire in the morning when i awoke at day break i lifted my head to see how the fire was i saw no fire i wondred what was rong i got out of bed to asertain our bedstead was a bush beadstead rather high about 2 feet from the ground i was 18 inches deep in water and the water rushing past the house a little distance what a fright for the moment a sheet of water all round me and the river about one hundred yards off what was i to do i must get out as quick as i cold the nearest place. was about 50 acres from me i put a few close on and i tied my infant on my sholders and my two boys i tyed one on each side if one was lost we shold all be lost for no one was stiring and i knew the- water was rising i thought it was the river but it was a creek that was over flowing its banks however i led my chilldren across-the water in safety i caled the firs neigbour up that i came [to] his name was hopgood he was as suprised as i was and i think more frightned he was some time before he cold do annything and then he got his horse and dray to fetch some of our things i caled annother man to help him and i made a fier to keep them warm till i cold geet them some dry cloas the yongest was dry so i put her in bed they brought our beds and bed cloaes and a box the water rose and remaind for some weaks the neigbours put me up a bark gunia and a bush temporary bedstead, that is tent fashion, instead of canvas it was bark, as none had a roome to spare and i perfered it the river was bank high on the side we was on it was the higher side on the other side was two miles all covered with water all trafik was stopped for about seven weeks i got no work and wat i had done i cold not get paid for our Provisions was done thair was no weat on the township we had a little rice and i got some milk from a neighbour but the children was not satisfied they wanted bread i had no money and them that wold have given it to me i could not geet near them for the water i began to be uneasey for it had got November and no word from my husband a man came one day and asked me to give him a breakefast i told him i had nothing to give him as all my provisions was done and the tears came in my eyes he said I thought so you gave it me when i was hear before and i whanted it then your chilldren tooke a peice of bread from charley. [256]
the punt man that he gave them so i thought i wold come and see he went but soon returned with some beef and a bag of vegatables tea and suggar but he cold not buy weat for money
the grog was all out at the publick house so thair was no drunkeness this was in November 1845 at last the river began to go down very slow
a dray started to go to Mr Dights station as he had kindley promised to send me two bushells [of wheat] i was very thankfull his wifes Mother was to have sent me six that was paid for but the flood coming prevented it for we had to grind our own weat for bread by hand as thair was no flower mils near at that time the dray that started to go for the weat was seven days it was seven miles to Mr Dights the roads was so bad and [the wheat so heavy that they only made] two miles a day
thair was some cheuring when he came back with the weat and then the mill was bunged 
thair had been no mail for some time as they was nothing to cross the river the water was so high on the lower side for two miles thair was a punt but it was oneley to cross the river however a man whent a cross . - with a bark conow he took the mail and brought the mellbourne mail - he crossed 5 times in one day as they was some drays had been waiting a long time to cross but culd not for the flood so he brought some suplyes and some grog all seemed to be geeting over the tryals of the flood but i had no letter from the absent ones still i was earning enough for my familey we was not in want of provisions but we had lost all our boots and shose thare was none to be had till they ware made. [257]
it was reported that my husband was drowned in the murimbege river but i did not hear of it till his return as they that brought the news was told to keep quiet and it must be told to me in a few week if he did not return it was very kind of them a settler came one day and asked me if i wold like to go on his station as my two boys was geeting big enough to mind a flock of sheep and we shold be on the home station i looked at him in supprise and said i cold not go away till my husband came home
he said no more but it was soon known that he had made the offer for one or two asked about it and said it was a good offer as he was a man that bare a fair reputation i said i tooke it very kindley but i shold not move till my husband came [in] a few days he did come but with out our daughter as he had been robbed on his journy and he had been deturred by the floods
i felt sorry she had not come and glad he was returned safe
it was then that i was told why Mr Brown had made the proposal that i should go to his station as soon as [my husband] had recovered from the fatigue of his journey he went to work for Mr Dight about 7 miles from where we lived
my husband had done some work for a settler but not got paid seven pounds [the settler] had been away for months he was at a publick house and a woman was scolding him for money he was angry at her asking for it so i believe it was to vex her he said he wold pay me what he owed my husband if i wold sign my name for it i wold willingly do that
a friend of ours the mail contractor was going to sydney and coming bak i asked him to bring our daughter up i gave him also a written order for my daughter in about fourteen days i had my long lost daughter restored to us she was like a stranger for some time but we was all together once more
we now decided to go to mellbourne as soon as we could get a little money to pay expenses for we saw no way of bettering our conditions in the bush and we wanted schooling for our children i had taught them to read and spell but i could get neither slates nor copy books i had sent several times by parties goin to melibourne but he forgot to bring them. [258]
we worked hard when we got anny thing to do and were very careful with wat we did get in August 1846 we started in a bullock dray for melibourne we were sixteen days on the journey to mellbourne we took a small cottage we put our boys to school we soon got plenty of work i got washing and soon got things a little comfortable about us but where my husband worked they did not pay him his wages regularly he worked for five shillings per day sometimes he got ten shillings and sometimes he got nothing at all and this is at one of the head shops he worked about four months in that shop that was thwaites when he left they owed him twelve pounds he would not work for them anny more till they paid him then he went to work for a Mr Moody who asked him why he left thwaites he told him that he did not get paid his wages when he worked for them and that he would not work for anny man that wold not pay him
this shop was in Bourke St west he did piece work there and earned about two pounds five shillings a week he got his wages regularly
in March 1847 i had another little son my husband worked at the place for about fourteen months we got things pretty snug he made me a mangle i made fair money with it then he was taken with a sever illness in his head we had a little money in the bank it all went except five pounds for doctors and medical bills just as he was recovering and able to do a little work Mr Moody gave his cabinet shop for a publick house in Elizabeth st
[here a section of the diary is missing]
our money was nearley all gon but this time both of our sones was to go [to the goldfields with their father], one 15 and the other 13 they whent by the steamer to Geelong and walked from thare to Balarat carrying a tent that i had made of some bedticking and pick and spade and blankets billes and food so they was well loaded and so yong but they ware willing they got thair safe and got diggin for goold and got a very little as my husband had never been used to rough work his hands blistred and he began to swell very puffey he was
a man that i had been a friend to named torn had a spring cart he had been to Balarrat came down to take some pepol up he wanted a few more to make a load but i was not aware of this and thought he wold not come with a falshod to me he came and said if i wished to see my husband alive i must go at wonst it was sunday i did not know what to do for a little time he wanted three pounds to take me up i had not ten shillings i whent to a neighbour and asked her to lend me three pound. [259]
she said if i wold wait till tuesday she might now i had lent her more than that a few times i knew she had it by her as she had drawn 30 pounds on the saturday i said that wold not do for me as i shold go by the steamer to geelong and take the coach as thair was non i could get in melibourne all was bespoke about half an hour affter she came to my house and brought annother woman with her and some half and half in a large jug and a bottle of brandy for me to take with me and the half and half was to drink in my house i said i did not ask you for that, tak it away when you asked me to lend you [some money] i did not insult but lent it to you go i said and learn beeter you shall not come in my house with that stuff' so i sent them away
we got our tea and my eldest daughter and Mary and Wille our two yongest my eldest said 'mother how happy you look as happy as if you had the money in your poket to go to father' i said 'some one will bring it me wat i want' i did feel as calm and assured that som one wold bring me something we read and sang some of the Psalms when a nock came to the dore and two weomun came in the repport of my housband had reached them they came and said one 'i know you cannot have much money you have been kind to us and if 3 three pounds will do you anny good you are weilcome to it' i said 'that was the sum i tryed to borrow of Mrs Leay' and i thanked them and i said i wold send it down as soon as i cold and i thank God for his goodness
well on the monday morning i whent on the steamer [to Geelong] at 6 o clock thinking i shold be in time to take the coach at half past twelve
the wind was against us it was half past one wen we got in i was too late for that day but i got booked for the next coach that started, paid my fare i had about four shillings left
i did not know what to do i whent to the hotel nearest to the coach office i asked the lady of the house wat she wold charge me for a bed as i had not much money i thought i wold pay for that she looked at me and then went with me up stairs and shewed me a snugg bedroom she said 'put your things in hear they will be safe and come down and get some dinner' 'i told you i have not much money i must know what i have to pay' 'nothing wile you are hear so corn, my husband whants to see you and have his dinner' this was one that we had befriended and well they treated me as they had heard of our misfourtains by the fire
[the next 4 page section of the dairy describing her coach trip is missing]
we got to Balarrat by dinner time just as the digers was goin to thair dinners i soon found my husband and sons they was pleased to see me and yeat surprised till i told them wat torn had said it was then it came out he whanted to make sure of me for a passinger affter our kindness when he was in distress i had but been a few days with them when my husband seemed all right as i made things as comfortable as i could thair was a great deal of ruffans thair and they seemed to be the luckes but they drank and fought each other we ware not molested tho suronded by them we was making about one ounce per day before i went they was making about 2 ounces per week. [260]
word came one day that mount Alexander was the place such a rush tooke place many a time in my quitate momeyts [sic] i think of that day when the word cam such paking up all was bussel a party that was camped near us had cleared thair claim thair [was] 5 of them 2 was rowdays 3 was what we may say stead men so they devided the 2 went away and 3 stoped and was a party and very good neighbours 2 of the three whent to looke for another dame one stoped at the tent a man that had done well and wanted a spree came and offered his horse and cart for sail as he was afraid it wold be taken if he got too drunk he whanted sixty pounds for it the man that was left in the tent came and asked me if i could lend him a few pounds to secure it and he wold take our things if we wanted to go on the cart on that understanding i lent him a few pounds and i looked affter the hors myself for 3 days for my husband wanted to go [to Mount Alexander] but he did not know how to get thair such tales was told of goold being got by the hundred weight and tru it was in some instances
he was quite pleased when i told him what i had done and baegan to make preparations for the journey
these 3 men was what [was] caled 'vandamoinans' som of thair old aquaintances came and wished them to take thair things so one told my husband he must get someone els to take us it allmost made him mad i said 'make your self content if that hors and cart gose it must take our things' 2 of the men began to bluster and wanted to frighten us i said 'i paid the money for that what is paid and our things must go if it gose' the party that wanted to go in our place was strong men my husband was quite nervous they saw it and took advantage of it but when they was loading i put some of our things [on] and they put them off i looked at them 'now' i said 'i bought the hors and if you do not tak my things i will just brake one of his legs i am a woman of my word you cannot hurt me i bought it' they looked at the receipet and found as i said so they put our things on. i should not have been so perseveary but my husband seemed so exiteted and i did not wish him to be disapointid [261] [262]
we had not travaled maney miles before one of the 3 men said he thanked me for he did not want the other partys with them but he could not refuse but throu wat i had done thair could be no ill will they was old friends and they [would] meet again but they was too fond of thair drink
we was four days traviling to Mount alaxander at nights when we camped one of us had to watch the horse all night for thair was plenty of hors stealing as some of the partis that got drunk and neglected to take that precaution found to thair los we arived safe on November 5 we looked for a quiet place to camp and put up our tents and got ready to dig for goold the next day they all soon began to get goold for it was plentiful my husband and sons got a pach and was making about one ounce a day the 3 men was making two
we had not been thair maney days when me and another wife whent a looking round the hills we had each a knife and a tin plate to get goold in if we shold find anny i picked up a bit and shewed it to her she [took it] out of my hand [and dropped it] i was not [able to find it] for the grass was both thick and high but i soon picked up a peice about a quarter of an ounce my yongest son came for the dinner and said they wold make two ounces or more 'tell father i will make three' for we had found a patch of surface we got a tub and pick and spade and washed one tub full we caned down to the creek to wash in a buket and washed it and finished in a tin dish [the] first tubful yealded about 3 ounces the next 4 we was in high glee when both her husbands party and my husband and sons came and to work they went and so we had to give in but we had made 7 ounces it was fryday
on the sunday it was very wet raining heavy but some neither minded the day nor the rain for goold was on the surface and it was very temting we [stayed] insed our tent dores watching them they laboured as if for very life and death and i believed some got coulds that they never got over but died throu that day for it had been very hot weather and it was very cold after the rain we started again on monday morning i say 'we' for i had to help my sons was yong and my husband was but weak so to encourage them i helped to wash the stuff for the goold
the troopers came one day and asked me to shew my licence i looked up at them for i was in the creek and they was on the bank of the creek 'have you got your licence?' i said 'my husband has got a licence and the Parson made us one he will be hear soon' [263] 'you must have one' i said 'the Parson made us one are you goin to devid us?' Mr Street was one of them he rode off lauging and the troopers foiled him
we was making about 8 ounces per day when we had got about seventy 70 ounces nothing wold do for my husband but he wold com down and down he did come i felt quite disapointed but was forced to comply we came down to mellbourne at the latter end of november we sold our goold for i belive two pounds sixteen shillings per ounce we paid all dets and bought a few things to make us comfortable wonce more and get reddy to go up again affter christmas
we had some money to put buy besides our out fit to go again
one of our neighbours bought a house and about a quarter of an acre of ground on collingwood flat he had got some what near the same quanitys of goold as we had but they must have finerey when he wanted to go up again he had no money so he tryed to sell his house again now he had suffered from poverty but when he got so much money they thought it wold never be done till it was done my husband offered him ten pounds more for his house and ground than he had given for it he sold it to my husband but as we was all goin up to the diggins in company he wold sign the deeds when we came back i objected to this but it was no use
the party he belonged and my husband had joined to buy a horse and cart i was grieved for i knew they was all too found of drink we took plenty of drink up with us as i thought to last for three months in a proper use of it but alas it oneley lasted three weeks no diggin in earnest whilst the grog lasted our party consisted of my husband and two sons and my self they was three strong men they was to have the cart and horse one part of the day and we the other part of the day but we was but a weak party and surface suited us the best but whare we could do annything they wold not stop ramble hear and thare i began to grow weary but i went and washed tailings whare thair was anney for i cold plainley see it wold come to a rupture very soon we had been 3 weeks the grog was done and i didnt think all the three men had five pounds among them what we had was what me and my sons had got it was about 12 ounces and we had sold 7 ounces my husband was tired and saw his error in not having had the deeds signed for the mans name was Walker he boasted he wold never sign them
my sons and husband whent to bendigo a prospecting and left me at castlemain in the tent near these three men they was away about 5 days while they was away a man came up from mellbourne and brought 2 or three 15 gallon caskes of grog up to open a shanty Walker was aquainted with him he came to me and asked me to lett the man put them in our tent and represented what lots of money we shold make we must keep it in our tent and they wold retail it in their tent i said no firmley but quiteley they bosted what injury they wold do if i wold not i wold not nor i did not and then they asked me to lend them 5 pounds i said i wold lend no money for grog they thought i had non. [264]
as soon as my husband and sons returned and told them the news they proposed to part company from us and we must either buy the cart and horse they made the proposal 'agreed' said my husband 'i will pay you off' they was surprised